Lots of C/S's

This week started with 2 holidays on Monday and Tuesday (Hero's and Defense Forces Day)  and so we got to sleep in a bit and work only until 1 or 2 p.m. and we did our 2nd C/Section of the week on Tuesday morning during rounds.  We had to stay a bit later to get discharges and dressings done.  Abbey and Tori have taken over for Caleb and Amanda doing dressings each day.

Tuesday morning we said good-bye to Caleb and Amanda who headed for home after 3 months with us.  Their time went by so quickly and they were a big help to us in many ways.  They arrived home in Kansas on Wednesday minus their luggage which caught up with them a day later.

By Thursday we had another C/Section (#3) just when I got dinner on the table and sat down to bite my first bite--I got called!  The other guests decided to eat dinner and miss the C/Section  which would have been my choice too, but off I went and got home about 8:15 p.m. to finish my dinner before bed!  I was happy it was early in the evening and not during the night!

Thursday Tori and Brenden went off to help with a Well Baby Clinic at Mudzimu.  They helped weigh kids and give Vitamin A and Tori took Blood pressures for the mom's who wanted Family Planning!  They came home saying it was great, but exhausted from lifting kids and all the screaming.

All week I have been helping Dr. Munodawafa get some lunch after I get back from lunch as Out patient clinic has been so busy!  So I have been busy seeing patients and many are very sick and need admitting to the bed.

Last night we got home to eat at 6:30 and had invited the Mereki family over for Pizza.  We had prayer time, enjoyed a bit of the Olympics and headed for bed by 9:30 p.m. very exhausted!  By 4:30 a.m. this morning I was awaken to go to the hospital for a C/Section (#4).  All went well and got home at 6:00 a.m.  Decided to stay up and take a nap later in the day, so had time to get breakfast ready for the group, watch some Olympic highlights and put a load of wash out before breakfast at 8:30 a.m.

Major came over to eat breakfast with us and have some coffee before he headed for Batanai and his village to get some work done.  We got to the hospital by 9:30 a.m. in time to hear one of the ladies might need a C/Section.  We decided to give her a little more time as the doctor finished rounds and at noon I went to check her and found she was complete.  I tried to Vacuum it out and no luck--off we were to another a C/Section--#5 for the week!  We finished by 1:15 p.m. and then I had to finish discharges and get people on their way home before we could go home eat some lunch and get a nap in!

Dr. Isala is on leave for the whole month of August and that is why I am on call for anesthesia for C/Sections!  We usually do 5 C/Sections a month and so far we have done more than 10 for the month!  Hope it slows down a bit for the rest of the month!  We have a lot of mother's in our Waiting Mother's shelter and we have had a lot of deliveries, so we keep going!

We have been enjoying watching some Olympics all this afternoon and are happy to be cheering Team America on from Zimbabwe.  We were happy Kristy Cox got a bronze medal in swimming for Zimbabwe--her 5th Olympics!

Kathy with Caleb and Amanda the day they left Chidamoyo

Tori suturing a wound with Dr. Munodawafa

Abbey doing dressing changes

Brenden putting Petty Cash receipts into the computer

Brenden labeling tubes for blood draws

Tori at Well Baby Clinic

Brenden helping to set up for Well Baby Clinic

Tori being a baby nurse for a C/Section

Tori, Brenden and Abbey helping with a C/Section

 Abbey with new C/Section baby


Popular posts from this blog

Visitors from Australia, Happy 20th Carolyn, Unpacking container, lots waiting for delivery!

What a week!

Covid-19--The world has changed