Happy Birthday--It's a HOT summer!

This has been a pleasantly busy week with lots of new patients visiting the hospital.  One of our doctors was away for a 2 week workshop and the other was gone 4 days last week and 4 days this week for workshops, so I have been in charge.  One doctor came back last night so this morning we split the rounds.

I managed to keep everyone alive and well and did several deliveries, removed retained placentas, and augmented slow moving labors without having to send any patients to Karoi District Hospital this week.  Major was saying yesterday "we didn't have to send any ambulance to Karoi this week," and I said "don't say that too loud or you will break the record!"

Last Sunday was my birthday.  It started at 2:30 a.m. when I got called to help with a delivery problem.  Got back to sleep at 3 a.m. and then was called by 0700 for an induction patient who started bleeding.  We sat on her for a couple of hours to stabilize her and she continued to bleed so we ended up sending her to Karoi Hospital for a C/Section since there was no doctor here.

I went to church at 11 a.m. and when I walked in there was 1 woman and 6 kids and then Edwell Mereki, one of the elders walked in.  He said the church had gone to a Big Sunday at Njengoma and also there was a funeral locally.  So he did communion, read a scripture and prayed and service was over in 15 minutes!!  Wow--the fastest African church ever!  I was able to go home and sit in the pool and cool off from the heat for the afternoon!  Even managed to get a nap in.

At 5 p.m. I went to church at the hospital.  We have over 60 pregnant women waiting in our Mothers Shelter and so it was a crowded service.  They sing every Sunday evening and many were dancing hard--hoping it would put them into labor!

After church I went home and Major came over to braai steak and pork chops for my birthday dinner.  I went to their house for my birthday dinner.  We had meat, sadza, and peanut butter veggies--all my favorites.  We ate until we were very stuffed!  Major's Aunt from Batanai was here and she had never seen so much meat in her life!  We even had leftovers.

Major's daughter, Carolyn, made a birthday cake and I blew out the candles and opened gifts.  It was so nice.  I am happy to have reached 62 years and 36 of them here in Zimbabwe for God has blessed me with 2 home countries and lots of friends in relatives in each!

Summer is here and everyday it is 100+ degrees and at night in the 80's when I got to bed.  It was a cool 78 when I went to work at 7 a.m. yesterday.  I wake up looking forward to a cold shower in the morning to start the day!  I get off work and jump in the pool and cool off and get in some exercise in before dinner!

Patients are still bringing in a lot of barter to the hospital as money is very short in the country.  We are one of the few hospitals in the country that barter has worked all for.  I thought I would show you some of chickens people have brought in this week.  When they bring them into my office I quickly ask them to bring them to the clerk so I don't have to talk over squawking chickens when I am counseling!  Patients bring in maize and peanuts and other crops.  We take anything and they have brought everything--sometimes soap, blankets, cows, goats, pigs, turkeys and even a brake light and a solar panel!

Looking forward to a quiet afternoon and Sunday to sit in my pool and cool off and read!  No visitors now so no time schedules after work and I cook when I am hungry and eat when I want--what a life!

It's my birthday--September 25th!


Pregnant women singing and dancing at Sunday evening church


The meat on the braai!

Dinner with Major's family



Carolyn bringing the Birthday cake



Lucky I didn't have to blow out 62!


 Summer is here!


Chickens coming for payment at the hospital



 Maize and peanuts come in each day

More chickens!



Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday folks!..:) yeah seems like a hot day there. Look at that, there is 103 F degree indoor temperature. This is really hot. All the photos are very nice and inspiring. Wish you a great success in your future accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unpacking cintainer, interviewing a new doctor

Enjoyable time away at Rhino Camp

Covid-19--The world has changed