How much can you get done in 4 hours before church?

A week ago Sunday I went into hyper-drive to get things done before church started at 11 a.m.  I got up at 0700 a.m. thinking I would have a leisurely cup of tea and do some internet before breakfast.  Within 2 minutes there was a call to get to the hospital for a C/Section.  I had 2 coming for breakfast at 0900! I took one, Julie, with me to help with the C/Section!

I rushed home by 8:20 a.m. and got the coffee perking and started breakfast.  Got a load of wash in the washer and ran to get a shower and dressed for church.  By 9 a.m. I had breakfast on the table as my guests came strolling in!

After breakfast I started peeling carrots, got the chicken ready and in the oven and started cooking the potatoes and carrots.  Since church is not usually over until 1 p.m. I need to have lunch ready to warm when we get home.

I ran to get the clothes hung on the line so they could be drying during church.  Then I ran inside to get a cake in the oven since our Bible College students, teacher and Major, and visitor Julie would be coming for snacks after night church (10 people).  Got it out and cooling.  Did some email catch-up and at 11 a.m. walked out of the door with Julie for church..whew!

On the 25th of May we welcomed Caleb Smith and his girlfriend Amanda.  Julie and I had gone in the evening before to Harare and had all day to do some flea market shopping, have lunch out and stay warm in Harare in winter!  We welcomed Caleb and Amanda at 9:30 p.m. and got back to the townhouse by 10:15 p.m. and all ran for the covers!  It was getting down to mid-40's at night in Harare.  

Our houses in Zimbabwe are built for heat and so when winter comes it is just like you are sleeping outside!  Chidamoyo is about 10+ degrees warmer then Harare and so we are always so cold in Harare.  I do love my electric under blanket on my bed in Harare!

On Saturday we left after lunch and took my 3 visitors, Julie, Caleb and Amanda for an overnighter at Major's  and my village in Batanai!  We were celebrating Patience's (Major's wife) 50th birthday.  The visitors got the experience of being in a village and see how our patients live.  

Saturday night we had a braii (BBQ) with lots of meat and sadza.  Then we had a cake and presents for Patience and then the party began!  The smell of the meat brought several visitors from the surrounding villages to join us.  Then they began the music and dancing!  Everyone danced and had so much fun.  I went to sit by the fire and watch the stars while the music continued.  Major had fixed lights and the stereo to run by his generator and finally about 10 p.m. he was ready to turn it off and go to bed!

The next morning we got up to tea by the fire and then we had some peanut butter porridge.  I brought and then they made hot water in buckets for our showers!  They had welcomed a new bride in the family that weekend so she had to make water and help cook for all of us.  We then left some $ in the bucket when we were done for her!

Then we ate a breakfast of boiled eggs, pumpkin bread, chimodo ( traditional soy and maize bread) and more tea and drinks.  We enjoyed sitting in my tsaka  (open living area) and eating.

At 11 a.m. we drove off for church.  I stood in the back with my visitors in the bed of the truck and we picked people on the road.  There were over 12 of us, in the back, and 5 in the front by the time we reached the church.  We had to wait another 45 minutes to start church as people started coming in.

We had a great service and finished just after 2.  A woman and a young man came forward to be baptized.  Then we went back to the village for some sadza, rice and pork.  Then we packed up and came home in time for most of Sunday night church at the hospital.  Then home for some popcorn for dinner and a movie.  We watched my Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 and enjoyed it!

Work started busy this week and Julie got her wish for 1 more C/Section to help with when we did an emergency one this morning.  She got to assist and was very happy!  We finally finished work at 6 p.m.!  

Julie leaves after devotions in the morning.  I have so enjoyed having her here.  She has been a big help and a lot of fun!  We wish her well as she goes to start Medical School at the University of Florida in July.  We hope to see her again her someday!

Birthday dinner at Batanai


Braii for dinner



Church at Batanai

Greeting people after church

Caleb and Amanda greeting people at church

 Julie helping with the C/Section





Julie Gibson


Comments

  1. I just read an article on Buzzfeed abut what you're doing in Zimbabwe. Is there a way I can offer financial support? I tried to find a charity, but it wasn't clear if there was one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We take donations at: P.O. Box 714 Sebastopol, CA 95472 USA. Thank you for your support.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unpacking cintainer, interviewing a new doctor

Enjoyable time away at Rhino Camp

Covid-19--The world has changed